Thursday, April 10, 2008

Finally an update

So it has been a long while since I have posted a journal entry. I really just haven’t felt like I had anything to say really. A lot has happened in the last few weeks but I just haven’t been to motivated to do anything.

Last time I wrote I was just about to be laid off my last job due to budget cuts. I was really sad to be leaving that job, I had enjoyed all the employees there and my work there was interesting. The pay was low but I was surviving. So that was hard. Plus I was terrified to start the job hunt again. I have had three periods of unemployment in the last few years and I was dreading another few months of building debt and rejection from employers. Luckily I was hired by another state agency for their helpdesk.

There are some downsides to this job and a couple of upsides. I was only out of work for two weeks. I got a five dollar an hour raise and it is still with the state so I get great benefits. The down side is it is shift work so there are times where I will be working in the evenings and maybe the graveyard shifts. I have no idea how that will be I am not a night person and I don’t know how my body will react to the late shifts. The fist five weeks though I will be on a M-F 8-5 shift which is nice.

The last few weeks I was also able to visit family. My parents and my sister and her family all came down to NM for a wedding and to help my other sister pack up all her belongings in prep for her move to Utah in May. She was accepted to BYU for her senior year of college. She really didn’t like UNM at all. With her moving back to Utah I will be the last one left here in NM. The rest of my family has moved back to Utah with the exception of my baby sister who is in Florida with her husband and new baby boy. Of course they have plans to move to Utah in a year or so. It was nice to see some of the family so soon after my trip to Utah.

This last weekend was the American Bear Awakening. The local bear run we have put on every year recently; this was a third year actually. It was fun but stressful, so many little things went wrong that while over all things went well behind the scenes it was stressful. We had about 50 guys show up and overall they seemed to have a good time despite the schedule being misprinted.

That stress added to the stress of starting the new job the very next day has really tired me out and I am in the middle of catching a new cold. I am really REALLY getting tired of being sick. I just barely got over the last one after a month and a half and now this. Oh well just another thing to take one day at a time I guess.

So things are actually going pretty good. I am tired all the time but I really can’t complain. Life is good.


  1. No matter what happens, never consider nor move back to Utah.


  2. Highly doubt that would happen though there is a large gay community there.

  3. Glad things are going well...I've been wondering, but did not want to ask!

    Get you some Zinc for that cold!


  4. John shift work and graveyard are not to bad I did them for several year at the phone company as long as you can get a nap in afternoon or early evening/ and do not eat a big meal before you go that will make you sleepy sometimes. Good luck in youe New job, Do you have the long drive to Santa Fe this time?

  5. Thanks guys and yes still doing the commute to Santa Fe.

  6. Glad for the new really good paying job. Sorry to hear about the new cold though.